Saturday, February 21, 2009

Organized Chaos

I'm weird. Looking at my house, which generally has a modicum of mess, you'd think I was a disorganized person. But actually, I'm anal retentive about organization. Examples:



-The dishes might not get done right away after every meal, but when they do each item has a very specific location in the dishwasher. If someone else loads the dishwasher I will usually re-organize it to be "correct". And I loathe doing dishes, so why do I do this?



-Laundry- if the load gets put away the same day it is washed it's an anomaly. But when I do put it away, things are hung in my closet categorized by item type (i.e. long v. short sleeved) and sub-categorized by color in order of the rainbow.


I wonder if there's a term for my weirdness. I would assume I'm not the only one out there like this.

In related news-

I saw a quote recently that I liked, "A clean house is a sign of a misspent life". I don't really agree with this because I definitely think being able to keep your house clean is valuable, and I envy people who have a clean house. But it makes me feel better about myself and the fact that the house is not always tidy. When my plate is full with stuff to do the house is usually the item moves down the list and this is the only way I can stay sane. I've found that the best way to get the house clean is to invite guests over.

I guess I just realized the term for me- procrastinator.

This was just a venting post and an attempt at justifying why I'm on the internet looking around at a house that needs a little attention. I'm going to go clean up!

1 comment:

  1. Maybe we were separated at birth because I do the same thing with the dishes and my closet (and my husband's and son's closets also). My husband has come up with a new way to help me out: instead of WWJD, he uses WWTD when he is trying to put something away or help around the house - I strongly encourage this behavior!

    Also, "tidy" and "clean" are two very different words ... my house may not always be "tidy", but it it almost always "clean".

    ReplyDelete