Monday, July 13, 2009

Uh-oh, I got suckered into a new hobby

As I've been dabbling in crochet, I saw this adorable butterfly hat. So I had to make one. It will not be pictured here for several reasons - I tried to adjust the size to fit my one year old and it ended up looking more like a yarmulke. I added a few rows and then realized that I had messed up the first stitch on each round and long story short, it's probably a piece of trash. But definitely a learning experience. I'm discovering that, like baking, I need to stick to the recipe. So I went to the Heartstrings Yarn Studio to get some yarn to try the hat again. I fell in love with a beautiful yarn. It's Sublime baby cashmere merino silk. It is sooo soft and matches the fabric I had just picked up at Honey Run Quilters for a baby gift clothing project. So I had to get it, but then realized it was a different size yarn than the pattern the butterfly hat called for so I went to browse through other patterns and found this one which has very cute crocheted flowers on them. You can knit or crochet the caps then add the crocheted flowers. The knit caps looked so much nicer than the crocheted ones....so one thing led to another and thanks to the very helpful lady at the shop I am sitting here with size 5 (waaay smaller than the only one other pair of knitting needles I've ever used- they look more like cuticle pushing sticks) circular knitting needles in my hand and watching You Tube video tutorials on how to knit. (I bought some cheaper yarn to practice on, first. And I did find some yarn to try again on the butterfly hat). I also have the following to thank for knitting becoming a label in my blog - my husband indulging my desire to visit these shops without the kids, the large iced coffee I had just consumed, and the high I was on from the beautiful fabrics I had just ogled over at the quilting shop. But it was probably bound to happen at one time or another.



Other fabrics for baby gift projects- clothing & applique, along with my needles & first attempt at casting on. The only other thing I've ever knit- a scarf 3 or 4 years ago - my mom cast on for me then showed me the knit stitch. Although I finished the scarf I didn't start anything else.



I'm also working on the smocked dresses for my girls from Weekend Sewing. The fabric is the same as the dress I made for myself in last post, only in pink.



Also brewing is a spiritual blog post, I just finished reading The Shack and loved it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Margaret! Is the compost blog yours? Looks like good info. I've always wanted to compost and haven't given up hope that I will one day, hopefully soon! I've got grand plans for a vegetable garden too.

    ReplyDelete