This shirt was made for a friend's birthday. I got the idea from a craftster t-shirt and thought of buying one for her, but then realized it was completely lame to buy a screen printed t-shirt that said "Handmade is better"...so of course I had to handmake my own. I used stenciling, applique, embroidery and buttons to create the different letters and used scraps that I knew my friend would recognize from past projects. I did use the same shirt as craftster to embellish - it's from American Apparel it's nicely fitted, well made, and my favorite part is that it's made in LA, not a third world sweat shop. I went to the store in Huntington Beach to get it and got a couple baby/kid shirts I will be embellishing for gifts in the near future. One thing I noticed is that their sizes seem to run a bit small.
In the spirit of creating with scraps/materials on-hand I've also recently made a dress/tunic for my 3 year old. We went to the Getty Villa on Mothers day and she's pictured here with baby sister and cousin. The bodice was a test of the pattern I made for her Easter dress, and I wouldn't let myself start a new sewing project until I had completed it. So I got together some scraps and made the patchwork skirt portion. It's a little short to be worn without leggings (she was camping with daddy when I made it so I couldn't test it), so I may add a ruffle to lengthen it if I get around to it.
I also made skirts for my girls with fabric I've had on hand for a long time that I think I got from my mom. I know I never bought it, but I thought it was fun summery colors. I used the Lazy Days Skirt pattern which is free from Oliver + S. I especially like the ribbon trim. I have been picking up remnants when I see them to make more of these skirts because they're so easy and you don't need much fabric.
Lastly, this is a handsewn felt doll made with a pattern that I got from the purl bee blog. It is for the Craft Hope project and the doll will be given to a child in an orphanage in Nicaragua. I loved doing all the hand sewing because I could sit on the couch and work on it while watching a movie with my hubby. Which is something I can't do while sewing on the machine. Also, I liked feeling that my creative outlets were for a good cause and did not feel guilty about spending my time on that instead of cleaning or something else. I am starting my second one.
No comments:
Post a Comment